Monday, September 21, 2009

MY LOVE STORY

Well, where shall I start? I think maybe the beginning is good. I was raised in a Christian home my whole life. Both of my parents were Christians, and both of their parents were Christians involved in full time ministry. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful and godly heritage.

When I was four years of age I prayed a prayer and accepted Jesus as my savior. After that I continued to live my life about the same, not really doing much for God, not having much of a prayer life, and not regularly reading my Bible. I still went to church my whole life. I knew the "do's and don't's", if you would, of being a Christian. But I didn't have a personal relationship with God (this is important by the way).

It wasn't until I went off to college when God started getting a hold of my heart. When I started out at Rock Valley I was introduced to a Christian Fellowship on campus called Intervarsity, but I was also playing baseball for the college so I wasn't able to attend much of their formal meetings. I would hang out with them on weekends at social events, and things of that nature. Intervarsity had about three retreats that year (last year). I was not able to go to the first, but I was able to go to the second one, Winterfest.

At Winterfest I was really challenged on how I was living my life. I knew that I was missing something in my life. It was there were God really began to change me.

When I returned home from the retreat I was different, but not entirely. I still neglected to pray often, read my Bible, and love God with my heart, soul, mind, and strength.

The third retreat that year was chapter focus week. There I was challenged again. I read this book entitled "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. It spoke of how we are to love God first with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength (this is also in the Bible by the way.) and also that we are to love other people.

Now after these two retreats I really was left with this passion for God. But I did not really act on it should you say.

The summer after my Freshman year (once again, last summer) my dad started a small group in our home on the book of Romans. I didn't start going until they were in chapter 5 or 6. But boy am I glad I started going. The spirit of God was working in me like never before. It was truly amazing. It was at that time I gave my life to Christ, surrendered to him, made him Lord of my life. I was different. Things that made me happy before didn't anymore. Jesus is my happiness now. Jesus is my joy now. Christ is my treasure!!! And I love him!!!

I'll conclude with a few verses. First, Psalm 73:25-26 "whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and portion forever."

Secondly, Psalm 63:1 "O God, you are my God; earnestly; I seek you; y soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

It is now my prayer that these verses may be true in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment